How do I know if a torrent is fake?

A lot of people are complaining about fakes on the website. Here are some hints for you to be aware of.

Re: How do I know if a torrent is fake?

Postby Firedingo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:09 pm

BanditQuest wrote:
1fish2fishredassmonkey wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but if all rar and zip and exe files are fakes and scams, why can't the uploader block those types of files?

For those who are new to getting stuff from torrents, there is some rationale for rar or zip when used in the non torrent file sharing sites where it helps ensure your downloaded segments are verified with check sums so they are rejoined correctly. A Torrent package already has check sums built-in and zip/rar is not required. Putting a torrent around a zip/rar hinders you if you want only SOME of the files in the torrent but if they are inside a zip/rar so you need to get the entire zip/rar and then extract what you need in the archive. The rationale for zip /rar wrappers inside a torrent wrappers are for obfuscation reasons - hiding something good or evil. Up-loader reputation and comments on the torrent can help you spot the good versus evil. Blocking all torrents with rar/zip is not feasible as there are cases where it makes sense for example a torrent containing a collect of freeware software where each zip/rar is a self contained installation package. As for media files (TV series, features etc), as others have said, chances are it's a fake if wrapped in zip/rar.

If I could thumb this up I would. This is good solid advice.
Firedingo

Postby Firedingo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:12 pm

Admin wrote:
Really?? I'm relatively new as well and I guess based on your comment ive been approaching this ALL wrong. I have been looking for the highest # of seeders to dl from thinking that was the quickest way to get a dl completed. Why avoid anything over 200? whats the thought process behind that.

Belive it or not, but seeds are not a guarantee of a good torrent. In fact, a lot of fakes have a lot of seeds, cause it's pretty easy to do so.

This is where comments/a quick google search can help out immensely but also checking the age on the torrent. Something that's been out for 12 months is probably not too bad.
Firedingo

Postby Firedingo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:13 pm

Bitbyter wrote:I assume passworded rars (especially where you have to go to some premium rate SMS scam site) are considered as fake, and it's OK to flag them as such?

While I've occasionally found rars that *do* unpack OK, there are plenty that don't. At the old place I tried to comment them as soon as I found them, to save everybody's bandwidth. If anypne reads the comments ... :lol:

I do all the time and lol that's what I use to do in the past. Haven't been downloading many torrents recently :P
Firedingo

Postby Firedingo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:23 pm

ADivineDeath wrote:that stuff about rar and .zip files meaning its fake is bullshit ive gotten lots of files in rars or zips and i almost never have a problem and ive got a 4 tb collection of downloads. for example almost all games come in rar or zip files telling someone that all rars and zips are fake is a huge slap in the face to the legitimate people who upload
yes there are losers who upload garbage files but the majority are fine, you just have to be able to tell if your downloading from a reputable uploader

Unless it's software (because generally it is easier to share software this way) I generally consider any rar or zip fake unless it has a good reason to use it in the first place.
Firedingo

Postby Firedingo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:27 pm

havoc wrote:The biggest indication for me is the size.

A movie that's 115mb is a fake.

A top line game less than several gb is a fake. You see LOTS of those.

Best way is often size in my experience. As for games, you can just google them and look at their recommended/minimum specs which list HDD space as in the size of the game once installed. Can give you an idea of what to expect when downloading.
Firedingo

Postby ForU2Envy » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:32 pm

.rar is the norm for video on private sites where keeping a 1:1 seed ratio is required.

By the time the goodies hit the public sites the legit ones are 99.9% of the time single video files.

That said even single video files can be hooky, check the download for a 'Read me first.txt' file, if it has one just download that file and read it, If it just has an uploader comment or a this was uploaded to xxxxxxx site it's usually safe, if it says you need to get a codec/player/survey then walk away.

EZTV was a great uploader of tv shows for over 10 years but a few of months ago hackers stole his main domain which gave them access to his email and in turn access to all his sub domains so any EZTV uploads that are less then 5 months old are 100% fake.
Image Image
ForU2Envy

Previous

Return to How do I know if a torrent is fake?