How do I know if a torrent is fake?

A lot of people are complaining about fakes on the website. Here are some hints for you to be aware of.

How do I know if a torrent is fake?

Postby Admin » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:58 pm

1. Don’t download archived torrents!
If torrents (especially Movies, Tv, or Music) are in .rar or .zip archives DO NOT download those!
Most likely they're passworded fakes and want you to complete a survey, download malware or worse.

2. Do not download Movies or Tv with video files and .zip files. these are fakes too.

3. Software or game torrents that contain .txt files with name of the torrent and name of some popular torrent website are most likely fakes. For example: “*name of the movie* Downloaded from kickasstorrents”, 1337x, Pirate bay etc.

4. If a video wants you to download some special player or codec it is also a fake.

5. Do not download software with titles like “Hack facebook”, “Restore facebook password’ or “Hack wi-fi” software, these are fakes.

6. If the movie is new, just out in theaters and torrent says that it's a blu-ray or DVD rip it's a fake for sure.

7. At the summary tab/page of the torrent you are interested in, is a Hash Code at the bottom right. Copy and paste this string into google... the results will give you an indication if the torrent is valid.

8. Some fairly new torrents have many seeds or "+" votes suspiciously quickly. These lull you into a false sense of security and are probably fake and seething with dangers.

If you have something to add to this list, to help others, please do!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do I know if a torrent is fake?

Postby david05859 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:14 pm

a favorite is also codec is needed to view movie (webxvid)
david05859

Postby Admin » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:52 am

david05859 wrote:a favorite is also codec is needed to view movie (webxvid)
thanks ;) we added that.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby Destro » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm still learning here guys so this helps a lot. I was searching for the Disney movie called 'Frozen' earlier. There were several torrents available but each were only a few days old or less, when I clicked one of them there was no comments, no screenshots or 'more on'. also no information on who uploaded the movie. would this be considered odd at all?
Destro

Postby Rcc » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 pm

I never download files if the no. of seeders has a amount superior of 200
Rcc

Postby Admin » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:33 am

Destro wrote:I'm still learning here guys so this helps a lot. I was searching for the Disney movie called 'Frozen' earlier. There were several torrents available but each were only a few days old or less, when I clicked one of them there was no comments, no screenshots or 'more on'. also no information on who uploaded the movie. would this be considered odd at all?

Yeah you better stay away from those, especially if the movie is new, and torrent says that it's a blu-ray RIP or DVD. Be careful.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby NorthernAmerican » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:07 am

Thank you for this.
This will help.
I think when you've grown up with the internet;
you tend to have a 'sense' for what doesn't seem right.
But torrents can still be a little misleading.

I really only feel truly safe downloading a Torrent when that torrent has +'s and comments.

It would be nice if this list could be added to over time.
NorthernAmerican

Postby Koda » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:35 pm

Rcc wrote:I never download files if the no. of seeders has a amount superior of 200

Really?? I'm relatively new as well and I guess based on your comment ive been approaching this ALL wrong. I have been looking for the highest # of seeders to dl from thinking that was the quickest way to get a dl completed. Why avoid anything over 200? whats the thought process behind that.
Koda

Postby Admin » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:07 pm

Really?? I'm relatively new as well and I guess based on your comment ive been approaching this ALL wrong. I have been looking for the highest # of seeders to dl from thinking that was the quickest way to get a dl completed. Why avoid anything over 200? whats the thought process behind that.

Belive it or not, but seeds are not a guarantee of a good torrent. In fact, a lot of fakes have a lot of seeds, cause it's pretty easy to do so.
Admin
Site Admin

Postby IsaacHunt » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 pm

I also noticed that some fairly new torrents have many +votes suspiciously quickly. These lull you into a false sense of security and are probably fake and seething with dangers.
IsaacHunt

Next

Return to How do I know if a torrent is fake?